Hi! I am Christine Shaw, founder of YES- Yoga for Emotional Support. I am a Yoga teacher & studio co-owner and the parent of a child with mental health disease and substance use disorder (addiction). I was married to a man with unresolved childhood trauma. I have divorced twice and lost my father in November 2017.
YES came about after I experienced years of pain and worry, feeling hopeless and scared for my daughter who suffers with trauma, anxiety and depression and then turned to drugs and alcohol to manage her pain.
I discovered through my journey of trying to care for and “help” my daughter that I needed support and care for my own health and well being. I remember being in a terrible state of high emotions most of the time. I carried around guilt and shame along with anxiety and huge mood swings. I would break out crying at any moment and when someone asked how I was doing I would talk about my daughter and not myself.
I realized that I can't live in this high state of emotional turmoil anymore and although it was so very painful to watch my daughter make unhealthy and unsafe choices those were still her choices. I was teaching yoga and doing breathing and meditation which helped. I sought out places for support. I went to Al-Anon and Nar-anon meetings and parent support groups and even began a support group (through Caron treatment center) with three other moms. These groups were and are so helpful because they allow everyone to share their similar experiences and find support and help from people who are going through the same things. I felt I needed something that was solely for me and my self care. I needed tools so when all of the turmoil and craziness happened I could remain calm and handle it with loving kindness for myself and others. My Yoga practice, breathing and Meditation helped me to do this.
From these desires YES was born!
As a Yoga teacher and a born nurturer, I love to help others. After seeing how much my personal Yoga practice and other methods of relaxation, empowering thoughts and self care techniques helped me I wanted to offer others the same support I found. Through my experiences I was able to envision what could be of help to many others who are seeking some emotional support and balance and the ways to achieve it.
When I put the energy of wishing to help others out into the universe, the universe answered by giving me more to manage like a husband with trauma and a subsequent divorce, a father dying of cancer and a daughter who continues to struggle with addiction with numerous relapses. I have learned that I am strong and capable and my life purpose is to help others to love themselves, cope with life stress and thrive in life!
* E-RYT, 200 & 300hr TYT (Teacher of Yoga Therapy) = 500 hr RYT
* Co-Owner of Liberty Yoga in Newark, DE since 2012
* YACEP ( Yoga Alliance Continuing Education Provider)
* Teaching Yoga since 2000 and 200-RYT since 2009
* Group Exercise Instructor since 1980
* ACE Certified Personal Trainer in 1994 & Owner of Lifestyle Fitness Personal Training
* Owner of Lifestyle Fitness Workout at Work for 3 Years from 2008-2010
* RYT Teacher Trainer since 2016
* Trained at Empowered Yoga, Yoga Stream, Himalayan Institute & with Sadie Nardini
* Over 5,000 teaching hours
* Restorative Yoga Training with Judy Curiel in 2017
* Daily Meditation and Yoga practice since 2000
* Trainings in Acupressure, Eden Energy Medicine, MBSR (Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction)